The Forums have been refreshed! More information here: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=2333.
Project X 7.8 has been released! More information here: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=2332

Cascade Battlefield

Dead RP's go here
Adamanttg
Mermaid
Mermaid
Favorite Character: Knuckles
Cascade Battlefield

Post by Adamanttg » November 30th, 2014, 11:30 pm

The sun is rising over a new day. Brilliant beams of light stretch out over the streets, bathing all in their warmth. The Decian capital of Celes is always brimming with life, and today is no exception. Wealthy patrons with gold jingling in their pockets litter the streets: some browsing local shops, some shooting the breeze and others simply enjoying a stroll. The capital exists in four distinct sectors. First is the market area: mostly self-explanatory - merchants set up stalls and rent buildings to ply their trade. All kinds of shops exist from weapons and armor to butchers and herbalists. Most of the people who buy from here are the kind with plenty of money to spare, though travelers are common. Secondly, the residential area. Houses here range from huge lavish buildings to...more affordable options Of course, this being the capital, these are fairly expensive in their own right. Thirdly is the royal quarter. The area is split between the huge mansion where the royal family resides and the barracks where the soldiers of the Decian army train and live. Finally...the slums. People of the capital rarely talk of this area. Heaps of waste litter the area, the buildings in complete disrepair. Few people ever linger long enough the investigate the area. Each quarter is walled off with huge stone walls, leaving only a portcullis as access between different areas. These areas are always manned by guards, and close at nights. Except for the slums. The gate almost never opens, and only in the most strict of circumstances from individuals who have received approval from King Mithas himself.

A drawbridge allows entrance to the merchant's quarter and though most are allowed to pass without issue, guards keep a keen eye out for troublemakers. A flier blows by in the wind, many replicas of it nailed to a great number of walls all across town. Information on it is scarce to say the least, but it is inviting nonetheless.
'Call to Arms!
Are you ready to defend your home?
Excellent pay offered!
Prestige and Honor await you.

It was no surprise then, that a great number of people had gathered for this event. Many were browsing shops to prepare themselves for anything. A rumor had been passed around that some kind of test was put forward to the applicants to determine their worthiness as soldiers of the Decian military. Most people had no reason to doubt - why would they just accept any random peasant who happened to show up?

There were a few things of note as new applicants arrived through the gates to Celes and into the merchant quarter. A pair of gossiping women spoke endlessly about the latest rumors and happenings, consuming the latest juicy gossip, regardless of its dubious truthfulness.
'Did you hear...? I heard that there's a a terrible assassin roaming town'
'I heard that some of those awful Malkian types have been seen near the town'

In the rows of stalls, a bald portly man with a grand beard seemed to be running thin on patience as a pair of men hung around his shop. A cursory glance seems to indicate that he was a Blacksmith, with his hammer over a large anvil.

Meanwhile a man dressed in some odd cloth clothing seemed to be in an argument with some local guards. It's fairly clear he isn't from this town, given his strange sense of fashion and brown spiked ponytail.

A young girl in light plate armor happily skipped through the area, the two daggers affixed to her waist seeming to indicate she was responding to the call to arms like many others. Though her general demeanor and attitude hardly seemed like someone prepared to go into battle.

Finally, at the far end of the lines of shops and people, there was the gate to royal quarter. A tall man with silver plate armor stood in front of the gate, seemingly inspecting the people who were arriving in hordes. He might not have looked that different if it weren't for his armor deviating from the standard grey iron armor of the other guards, and his lack of a helmet. It probably indicated he was some kind of big shot.

shadowpaine
PeaceKeeper
PeaceKeeper
Favorite Character: Shadow
Re: Cascade Battlefield

Post by shadowpaine » December 1st, 2014, 1:42 am

A hand cladded in steel reached out and grabbed the flier that blew through the air, the person that caught it slowly held it in both hands before reading it over, a smile spread across their face.
"The irony, I leave the military to seek out freelance work and now I find the perfect offer back with them" a womanly voice said as she then folded up the paper and placed it in her pocket.
"Well better not waste any time dawdling, time is money after all and I need that gold" she muttered to herself as she made sure to check if her weapons and armour were in peak condition, she couldn't risk slacking on a job like this.
Both of her hands were covered by steel gauntlets but they weren't as bulky as standard steel gauntlets apart from the chains wrapped around them, she checked to make sure there was no guards or civilians around as she then took out her blade, she didn't want to risk making a scene, looking her blade over she could see that her bastard sword was still sharp and in good condition.
"And that covers that, I'm perfectly sure my armour is fine" she said confidently as she then sheathed her weapon and made her way towards the royal quarters making sure to show the guards the flier "I'm here to sign up for the call, Ya gonna let me pass?"

The guards could see a 5,8ft woman with brunette hair, part of it covering her left eye, the back of her hair down to her shoulders, apart from the gauntlets she wore no form of armour, she was wearing a red tunic, brown leather boots and dark brown pants
"Just gonna stand there or am I allowed through?"

Shroomz
Bokkun
Bokkun
Favorite Character: Zu

Post by Shroomz » December 3rd, 2014, 2:43 am

Amidst the crowds and bustle, one man walked lonesomely, carrying his polearm vertically so as not to trip any passerby with the haft. As he walks, he checks the various straps to his leather armor, looking like a very average soldier, save for his notably bright hair and his unorthodox weapon. He looks peacefully focused as he winds through the streets, dodging clusters of people with simple and measured steps, rarely even brushing against anyone despite the population density. Eventually, his wandering leads him to something he hadn't entirely been looking for, but all the same would lead him to his goal. A flyer, pinned to a wall, brother to so many other identical flyers elsewhere, caught his eye. 'Royal quarter, eh?' He thought passively. His path now set, he moved on autopilot while his eyes and ears took in the sights and sounds. 'Assassins, Malkians... Even this place isn't secure.' His eyes continued to stray about, settling on the overly happy looking girl skipping about with her blades in tow. It didn't keep his attention long though, and his eyes now shifted to the blacksmith. He decides to do one more personal check on his gear, and walks over toward the shop to browse the various things in stock, looking for something besides just arms and armor. In fact, he seemed rather intent on finding something. "Pardon, but what do you stock besides weapons and armor, Smith? I'm looking for a souvenir, perhaps a coin or token of some kind. For my little sister." He gives a slightly bashful smile as he leans on his weapon slightly, but there's something almost imperceptibly -off- with his expression.
"Got any twos?" "I got two pairs." "I call doubt!" "You didn't say Uno."

Adamanttg
Mermaid
Mermaid

Post by Adamanttg » December 3rd, 2014, 12:19 pm

As Ervan grew closer, the range of goods became clearer. Short swords, broadswords, daggers, plate armor, chainmail and more laid neatly stacked around the stall. However, it was unclear if he sold much else. Several things remained obscured behind some armor and wooden crates.
The Blacksmith briefly caught the young man's eye as he glanced over to the side inbetween dealing with the two men before him. He stroked his beard in long, raggedy lengths. The frustration in him was clearly on the rise.
"Aye, I'll be with ya in a minute lad."
The man sighed as he turned back to the two before him. On closer inspection, they were clearly swaying back and forth and a pungent smell of alcohol filled the air around them.
"C'mon...give uuuuuuusss a drink...."
"Ah dinnae hae a drink. This is a Smithy not a Bar!"
"Don't beeeee stingy...."
The Smith seemed to be moments away from standing up and physically tossing them away from his stand. Breathing deeply he turned back towards Ervan.
"Hey, lad. Ye mind shooing these drunks oot of here? I'd dae it maself, but merchants swinging at the customers tends te get ye in trouble wi the guards."
Looking at the two men they were obviously fairly scrawny, and combined with their drunken state, they hardly looked capable of holding a fight. Considering the man behind the anvil seemed about ready to leap over at them, this might have been the last chance to end this without a hammer in someone's skull.

As Maia further approached the gate, it became clear that a long line of people were queuing up next to the gate. Though, it seemed as if they weren't moving whatsoever - guards blocked their path and no one seemed to pass through the gate. The man in silver armor was reading through some documents as the woman impatiently approached him.
"Hmm, what? Can't you queue up like everyone else?" The man affixed his palm to his face, sighing.
"Actually, hold." Scratching his stubble, he looked her up and down, his eyes wandering over every detail.
"You look fairly capable: well-maintained armor and weapons - unlike all the other chancers." He gestured over to the queuing hopefuls. Most of them were fairly weak-looking, many without even armor or weapons. It was questionable if any even knew how to throw a punch, let alone fight.
"Go ahead and pass through. Keep going until you reach another gate, and go into the wooden shed next to it. There'll be another guy waiting for you."

The man stepped aside, and the guards followed suit. Finally crossing over into the royal quarter, the entire environment was far better than the area she had just came from. High quality pure white bricks paved the path forward, to the side were lush areas of perfectly green grass. Flowerbeds were found intermittently, each one filled with more exotic and brightly colored flowers than the last. Off a few side paths, rows of soldiers in their grey armor seemingly went about their business. Some discussed issues with each other, some exercised and trained. It wasn't look before she came to an imposing-looking set of wooden double-doors. They were, of course, locked tight. Off to the side, just as the man earlier described was a wooden building. Considering it was placed next to the gate, it seemed rather like the place where the gatekeeper would stay.

Upon entering the box, there wasn't much to speak of. There was a table and two chairs, a lamp and desk at the back. The building was not very big, but seemed to be made of some sturdy and finely finished planks. However, the person she was looking for wasn't here. All that there was to note in the room, was a pile of paper lying on the table before her. On closer inspection, it seemed to be some kind of report. The report detailed the rumors of an assassin lurking within town. However, ironically, there was little detail to be found. The only people who had ever actually caught sight of this supposed character were notably shady folks with very dubious credibility. The only real detail seemed to be that the assassin demanded exorbitant amounts of money - 200 million gold - for their services and that they wore a full body black cloak that obscured their entire appearance from view. However, even this information was hardly trustworthy. Not a few moments after reading this, the door opened behind Maia, and a guard consuming some kind of pastry made his way through the door.

"Huh? Someone's here already? Capt' said it didn't look like there was anyone else who'd be worth bringing through today..." The man shuffled around to the other side of the table and promptly finished his snack. At that moment he noticed he'd left the documents lying out on the table and quickly snatched them and fumbled with them before shoving them onto the desk at the back. The man fell down into his seat, motioning for her to do the same.

"Eh...I dunno about this. I know it seems all cool being and soldier and stuff, but a girl like you should probably be waitress at a bar back in the merchant's quarter. Fighting for your kingdom's really more of a man's kinda thing..." The man looked fairly disinterested by Maia, as his eyes wandered the room.

shadowpaine
PeaceKeeper
PeaceKeeper

Post by shadowpaine » December 4th, 2014, 12:31 am

"Heh bloody fools," Maia chuckled looking at the line of common folk trying to pass off as fighters, she brushed her thumb over her nose before looking back at the man in silver armour "thanks for the directions. Later!" She said as she slid the paper back into her pocket.
"A wooden shack.... I thought we were meeting at the barracks... This seems fishy..." She thought to herself as she walked trying to figure out why she was directed there.

It didn't take her long to reach her destination, without wasting time she pushed the door open, the room appeared to be empty besides a table and chair with notes on it, the only one that caught her eye was the assassin and the gold price causing her to whistle in amazement "I may be in the wrong line of work"
Just then Maia heard a voice, looking up she could see a guard approaching looking like he finished his snack "well belive it, I'm the first one" she said with a confident smile but the guards rather sexist remark caused her smile to change to an angry glare.
"So you think just because I'm a woman I'm incapable of... IM TALKING TO YOU!" She shouted slamming her hands on the table as the guard didn't seem to be paying attention "I've proven time and time again I'm far more effective then half of you men when it comes to fighting, now you watch your mouth and show me some damn respect! Gender means fuck all! A woman can wield a blade just as well as any man!"

Shroomz
Bokkun
Bokkun

Post by Shroomz » December 4th, 2014, 4:56 am

Ervan's eyes shift between the smith and each of the drunkards in turn, sizing each up privately while his face showed little more than a peaceable smile. He gives a sarcastic sounding sigh and a small chuckle at the smith's request, noting just how far gone the drunk men were, and how badly things would turn out if the rather imposing craftsman lost his patience. He takes a smooth stride, placing himself between the men and the smith, smiling amicably at the drunk pair. He gently lays a hand on one's shoulder, trying to turn him the other way, and uses his lucerne like a shepherds cane to guide the other, pushing lightly. "Come now, the man can't give you what he doesn't have. If you'd like a drink I'm sure you can find one elsewhere." He sounds a bit cheerful and encouraging with the next comment. "In fact, it seems you two already know where to find drinks, so go along and enjoy yourselves now!" Assuming that the men simply leave, he looks back over his shoulder at the smith, rubbing his brow lightly with the back of his left hand. "Seems odd for them to come here, of all places, for their begging."

Adamanttg
Mermaid
Mermaid

Post by Adamanttg » December 4th, 2014, 9:56 pm

The guard before Maia maintain his level of disinterest as he reclined in his chair, even swinging on the back legs to amuse himself. The moment she slammed the table, he lost his balance and fell back off his chair and hit his head off of the desk behind him. He quickly rose again, rubbing the back of his helmet. Good thing he hadn't taken it off when he sat down. Setting his chair back up, he finally turned to face her again.

"Alright, alright jeez. No need to get so heated. Capt' set me up here after there were too many weedies coming through. I was just to push people's buttons to see how they react. It's a pretty stupid job to be honest...I think the capt' is getting back at me for that missing roll the other day..." He reclined once again in his chair, crossing his arms behind his head as he thought. A few moments later he popped back into reality.

"Oh, yeah. You passed, of course. You seem like you have something to prove." Standing back up, he shuffled back out the door, gesturing for Maia to follow. Approaching the door, he rapped a series of knocks on the door. After a period of silence, the door creaked open just enough for her to pass through. Through the door, the atmosphere changed once again. A huge stone building stood before her. The area was far more populated than the last - there were many guards practicing their weapons against dummies. Chopping, stabbing, slicing, all kinds of weapons were used. On closer inspection, some of them were clearly not guards: their differing manner of clothing made it obvious. Perhaps they were other people who had answered the call. A heavy clanking sound approached her from the side. A huge middle aged man in heavy plate armor and a giant cleaver in hand approached her. His appearance itself may have frightened those of lesser will. His raven hair was spiked upwards, his face and armor covered in scars, telling of countless battles.

"Hmph. So you're the new meat. You've made it this far, so clearly you've made an impression. But that's kids stuff. The real test is your mettle in battle. Passing by me won't be as easy as the rest of the daisies so far. If you've no doubts, we'll start with showing what you've got. Over there, there's your target." He gestured to the straw dummy nearby.

"Show me what you've got. If I'm not impressed, you can go join the rest of the pansies back in the merchant's quarter." His stern look never wavered as he intently watched her every action. Everything would be important.

The two drunkards seemed mostly confused at Ervan's attempt to make them leave. It was pretty clear that most of his speech flew right over their heads. But they seemed to understand a bit, and the Blacksmith capitalized on this.
"Oh, aye. Fiddy's pub doon a bit serves some a the finest ale ye've ever tasted, an it's cheap as dirt tae!" He stroked his beard, a mischievous grin on his face. Luckily, the two men quickly scampered off, no doubt excited by the concept of more cheap drink. Breathing a sigh of relief, the blacksmith let his substantial belly breathe again.
"Serves Fiddy right, the way he charges fir ale, ye'd hink there's gems in it!" Shaking his head, he returned his attention back to Ervan with a look of confusion that indicated that he didn't quite understand why they bothered him either.

"Now, whit was it ye wanted lad...? Somethin' fancy...?" Scratching his chin, he thought to himself momentarily. All of a sudden, he leaped from his seat like a rocket and picked up a small wooden box at the back. Opening it up it seemed to be an unusual coin attached to a silver chain.

"Got an order tae make this necklace a while back, but the laddie never came back tae pick it up. Poor sod probably bit it. The coin caught ma attention. Never quite seen anything like it before..." True to his word, the coin was certainly no coin used anywhere in land. It carried a very unique design, one that beggared description.

"Aye, ye kin hae it free ae charge lad. Ah've hid it oan ma hands fir a while noo, and ah dinnae hink anybody's coming tae pick it up. It's a wee thank ye for getting rid o they drunks as well. Oh, aye, while ahm at it....take this...a wee promotion fir ma smithy..." The blacksmith reached down a gave Ervan a scroll. On inspection, it seemed to a scroll detail various kind of rare minerals and metals with 'Trian Smithy' plastered at the top.

"Maist ae the travellers dinnae ken a guid piece ae metal fae their arse. If ye ever come across wan ae them, bring it tae me and I'll make ye something guid, at a discount, rightly." Trian beamed and gave the boy a big grin before excusing himself and setting back to work on his anvil.

Behind him, the two gossiping women were moving along, no doubt heading back to their lives. The girl was nowhere to be seen and the man in odd clothing now seemed to be debating with the captain guarding the gate to the royal quarter.

"

Shroomz
Bokkun
Bokkun

Post by Shroomz » December 4th, 2014, 11:19 pm

Ervan finds himself smiling bemusedly at the Smith's sudden energy, and beaming excitedly at being given such a unique accessory in return for his simple deed. He gratefully takes both the necklace and the scroll, giving a slight bow. "I'll certainly keep you in mind, whenever I might need something! The road might keep me away, but I'll send folks your way if they seem to need strong gear." He smiles widely once more, turning on his heel and redirecting back toward the royal quarter gate. Privately, he muses, "Sis is gonna love this necklace."
Upon arrival, the crowds around the gate elicit a sigh from Ervan, especially seeing how weak and unprepared most of the people there were looking. The most weak willed among the clusters of people begin to make space away from him, and he simply sighs again before moving through the now empty space, closing in toward the front of the group since so many had tried to keep afar of him. He turns back around once no more people in front of him part to let him pass and gives a grateful looking smile and a wave, but privately muses once again, "Why are they even here?" He's now quite close to the oddly dressed man and the captain alike, only separated by a layer of people who at least seem to have brought some of their own weaponry.

shadowpaine
PeaceKeeper
PeaceKeeper

Post by shadowpaine » December 5th, 2014, 9:36 pm

seeing the guard fall from his chair and slam his head on the desk behind him caused a small sadistic chuckle from Maia before she frowned seeing the man stand back up, taking a step back and folding her arms as she frowned at him with a look of anger the guard explained this was a test and probably his punishment from the captain,
"pretty stupid test.. now since i passed move it before i do something i regret" maia said as she then followed the guard who proceeded to knock on a door several times in what seemed to be a code, after letting her through she could see a huge stone building and the sight she was all too familiar with from her first time in the military.
"man this reminds me of induction day when i first started.. bet half of these are as green as the grass" she muttered to herself as she then heard the sound of heavy armour approaching her, she glanced in the direction to see a man in armour and armed with a cleaver approach her, despite his appearance Maia didnt seem the least bit intimidated.

"oh good, now i can finally start doing some real tests and not waste my time" maia said to the huge man as she casually walked over towards the straw dummy and drew out her bastard sword.
grasping the blades hilt with both hands she took a step forward before she quickly sliced the dummy across the chest area before quickly following up with another slash across the face of the dummy, she then leapt backwards as she watched the dummy fall to pieces before she let out a loud shout, grasping the blade with both hands she charged towards the dummy again and swung down on the dummy cleaving it straight down the center before she used her foot to kick up to make it easier to get back into a ready position before she casually sheathed her blade on her back before turning and smiling "is that good enough for ya?"

Adamanttg
Mermaid
Mermaid

Post by Adamanttg » December 7th, 2014, 6:09 pm

The huge man grinned. From the very way that she moved, it was clear that she wasn't quite the same as all those queued up back out in the merchant's quarter. Those who had a certain amount of power had a certain swagger to their movements. Confidence. A readiness to fight back at any moment. A warrior was always ready to fight rather than flee. He rubbed his chin, observing closely. Definitely someone with prior combat experience. But how far did it go? Was she the kind of warrior who had faced down an entire army and lived to tell the tale? Or the kind who hit a farmer over the head with a club once? Well, that's what these tests are for, he thought to himself. On observation of her attacks, it became clear she was no random thug. Her moves flowed into one another, and were clearly poised to kill. In all honesty though, he wasn't interested in the damage it did to the dummy. Any fool who could swing a sword could destroy the dummy. He needed to watch for more important things, all of which she had in spades. By the time Maia had turned around however, his face had returned to a stern, almost scowling expression.

"Hmph. So you can slice up some straw. Would you like me to throw you a parade? Bake you a cake? All you've proved is that you can manage not to cut yourself with your own blade. You're still nothing yet."

"You'll find the next challenge very simple, if you keep your wits about you that is..." He beckoned her over to a more open space nearby. His back remained towards her as he spoke. After a few moments of dead silence, it became clear he was planning something. It was unclear, but a trained eye could pick it up: his cleaver-holding hand tensed up. Only a moment later, he suddenly swung around with immense force, his weapons aimed horizontally to split her in half.

"If you can't dodge this, you have no place on the battlefield!"

Now close enough to hear, the man in odd clothing seemed to be arguing with the captain guarding the gate. On closer inspection was wearing some kind of odd shirt. It was a lush green, but lacked sleeves and didn't seem to join in the center, exposing his muscled torso. Considering he was likely here for the call, it seemed like a strange choice of attire. He had no armor bar a pair of gauntlets and sabatons. What was especially attention grabbing was the thing strapped to his back. It seemed like a giant...nail. It was made from steel and looked like it weighed far too much for him to be able to carry so easily.
"Look, all I'm saying is that you should offer give more funds to the orphanage. Isn't that what justice is all about?!" The man with the brown ponytail seemed very impassioned. His gestures were fairly animated swung his arms around like they were being pulled on by invisible strings.

"We've had this conversation before...We don't have the funds to spare!" The important-looking guard was clearly reaching the end of his rope.
"You're here for the call, right? Just go through and stop talking my ear off." After making odd noises for a moment or two, the oddly clothed man seemed to have made a decision.
"Very well! But this is not the end! I will return and see that justice prevails!" He finally turned and walked through the gate as the guard let out a sigh of relief.

After a few moments of rubbing his forehead, the captain just noticed Ervan behind a line of people.
"Ho, you there young man. Step forward. What is your purpose here? To fight for your country? A paycheck? Honor?" While this boy was clearly more competent than most of the others had turned up, something about him left a lingering doubt in his mind. He didn't seem as definitively strong or confident as some of the other people he had let pass. He'd just have to see what he could dredge up in conversation.