The Forums have been refreshed! More information here: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=2333.
Project X 7.8 has been released! More information here: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=2332

The Monster Inside All Of Us...

Dead RP's go here
Adamanttg
Mermaid
Mermaid
Favorite Character: Knuckles
Re: The Monster Inside All Of Us...

Post by Adamanttg » September 21st, 2014, 9:06 pm

At this point, Ruby wasn't sure if she was getting better or worse. The stabbing pain in her torso was no longer as pronounced, but her head was spinning and burning up something terrible. Still she did her best not to show it, if only not to worry the girl, hard as it was in her current condition. Listening to the best of her ability, she began to wonder if she really did know as much about Eva as her words implied. In fact, she got the feeling that they had talked recently, but had no clear memory at all. The all-too-familiar fog in her mind prevented her from recalling much.

"Can't remember, eh? Sometimes I wish...I could forget what happened in my past..." She traced the scar along her left eye with her hand. Even if she wanted to, the scar was an omnipresent reminder of her past. Suddenly, images flashed by her eyes. Her hand clamped down over her right eye as she winced in visible pain and tensed up immensely. It only lasted a few moments, but by the time it ended she was already out of breath. It was a familiar sensation that seemed to pop up whenever it pleased and was nigh-impossible to stop.

"Dammit...I wish I could forget..."

Shroomz
Bokkun
Bokkun
Favorite Character: Zu

Post by Shroomz » September 23rd, 2014, 4:49 am

Noticing the redness of Ruby's forehead (irony notwithstanding), Eva laid a hand on it to gauge the temperature. She soon forgot that though, as she briefly spaced off when Ruby expressed a desire to forget her past. After a time of just lingering in a slightly awkward silence, she quietly spoke up again. "I wish I could remember. I know from the memories that surround those gaping voids in my mind that what happened during those times was never good, but... The memories I have are what keep me fighting, and pushing forward. The good and the bad help me keep myself sane and smart, and I feel like an awful person for forgetting times when tragedy struck. It feels like... I'm killing people by forgetting them. The whole reason I want to have my mind back completely is so that no matter what happens, I can make all my choices myself... If my body is used for something terrible, I can't excuse it by saying I wasn't in control, since by all rights it's probably safer that I don't even exist... But I've still got enough selfishness thanks to Morde to hang on, y'know?" Seemingly snapping back to awareness, she swears aloud. "Fuck, I forgot that you were running a fever! Sitting here rambling like an idiot... Sorry, I'll be right back." She lifts Ruby's head, gently placing it on a pillow from nearby, before getting to her feet and stepping to the door with the bucket in her hand. "I'm gonna get some cold water for ya!"

Practically trotting down the stairs with clicking steps from her boots, she moves to the barkeep and gets his attention. "I need some water for my friend, could I fill this bucket somewhere?" The barkeep responds with a slanted face, and rubs his finger and thumb together; money. Eva takes a deep breath, obviously about to start yelling about Ruby being sick and all, but she hears a sharp whistle from across the room. Tracking it back, it's Mordecai, wearing an expression of near amusement. He makes a gesture for her to catch something, then throws a silver coin at her. Swiping the bucket upward, she doesn't miss a beat in presenting the barman with the shining tender. He takes the coin with a sigh, then waves her out to the back of the inn, where a well lies. She fills the bucket quickly, and returns to the room just as quickly, beginning to pat Ruby's face with a cool, damp rag. "See? I was quick."

Morde chuckles just slightly, looking to the other two near him. "She's a good girl. Anyway, pardon me for not remembering sooner, but we've got multiple rooms rented at the moment. If anyone else is up to discuss 'recent matters', then we should probably relocate to one. Maybe try a few things out, with restraint."
"Got any twos?" "I got two pairs." "I call doubt!" "You didn't say Uno."

Adamanttg
Mermaid
Mermaid

Post by Adamanttg » September 23rd, 2014, 10:02 am

Ruby listened contently to Eva's speech about the past and the importance of remembering. Well, it wasn't as if she had a choice, but even if she did, she would still have listened. It made her wonder. There was something in her words, but it was hard to believe. Who wouldn't believe they would be better off if they could just forget all the low points of their life? Wouldn't she be much happier if those parts of her past just vanished? But, at the same time...she just couldn't let go. She'd anchored herself to her past, both consciously and subconsciously. In a way, it drove every action and decision. It was almost like she was still living her past.

Eva's hand was a temporary relief to inferno that was her head right now. It pounded viciously, without mercy. Unfortunately, it hadn't lasted long before the girl had dashed out, leaving her alone. There was something of an ominous feeling looming over her, being completely helpless and alone. The feeling was way too close to back then. Every second dragged out into a seeming eternity. Every part of her mind was dominated by the thought of where Eva was. Had she been attacked? Or was it that she just left...with no intention to come back? Her mind swirled with increasingly negative possibilities. However, her thoughts were interrupted by three sets of footsteps. Even though she couldn't see, she knew exactly what was happening...again.

"You just never could let go, could you?" Though the voice seemed neutral, on some level, it felt like there was haughty derision in their voice.
"C'mon, it's not like you to be laying around for so long!" The second voice bursted with enthusiasm.
"Hey...I hope you don't like this girl just 'cause she looks like me..."

At this point, Ruby didn't even have to look at them. She could perfectly picture them in her mind, clear as day. This is what she couldn't let go of, something she didn't even want to let go of. But, she wasn't blind to the truth. She knew what this really was - even if she chose to ignore it. Before anything further could happen, Eva had returned. The damp cloth was a huge relief, stowing away one source of trouble for at least the time being.

"Eva...I think I get what you mean by wanting to know...I don't think I could ever forget, even if I wanted to...Something this important...I'd be searching for my whole life..." Shaking her head, she decided to change the subject.

"So, tell me about this cat..."

Shroomz
Bokkun
Bokkun

Post by Shroomz » September 24th, 2014, 6:49 am

As Eva busied herself with helping Ruby relax, she found herself actually giggling just a bit at Ruby's question, and responding in a cheeky tone. "Well, if you -need- to know... Its name was 'Jeeves'. Morde and I found it a long, looong time ago. It was a wild cat, actually. I insisted on feeding it, but it scratched me and ran away. We slept near the area that night, and in the middle of the night, it crept back up to us at camp with a mouse in its jaws, and left it by the fire until Morde noticed. He tried to shoo it away, but it just scooted over a little and sat down. When I came out of my tent to get a better look at it, it nudged that mouse toward me. I laughed a lot, and spent a while sitting with that cat. It was like it was trying to apologize, and I kept laughing every time Morde would mention that. I guess I didn't really 'have' Jeeves though, cuz we left a couple days later after we'd finished in town. Can't really expect a cat to follow us anyway. You ever had a pet? I could see you with a big dog or somethin'." Her tone had lightened up now, having changed subjects for a bit.

shadowpaine
PeaceKeeper
PeaceKeeper
Favorite Character: Shadow

Post by shadowpaine » September 24th, 2014, 10:13 am

Jacob had sat himself down at one of the nearby tables, he was in deep thought about what he should do now that he had this better control.
He listened the the events around him, Eva trying to get water to ruby, morde mentioning about discussing things in another room and practice with 'restraints'

Rising from his chair he placed his hands on the table, as much as he wanted to agree with him deep in his mind he didn't want to fall under the 'yes man sidekick archetype' or anything of sorts, "you do that.... I'm going out of town to practise" Jacob said as he made his way to the door.

Adamanttg
Mermaid
Mermaid

Post by Adamanttg » September 24th, 2014, 8:50 pm

Ruby found herself listening quietly and happily enough to Eva's story. Really, it suited her personality to a t from what she knew about her. But she also kind of expected the kid've tried to drag the cat along, and pouting when she couldn't. Before she knew it, she was laughing weakly to herself at the image.

"Me? Pets? Nah...not really...I could barely feed myself most of the time...never mind an animal. Though...now that you mention it...There was this stray dog, way back." Her eyes drifted as her mind went far back into the past.

"I was just a kid, living with my grandma....and every day there was this stray dog that always sat by our door every morning. I tried to shoo it away, but it just came back the next morning. After a while, I kinda grew to...like it. I couldn't really make friends with other kids, so it was like my first friend. I started feeding it some scraps, saving them for when it'd come next." Her face seemed to drop a little as she continued.

"I never really knew what happened to it since I had to...skip town. I kinda missed it in the days after..." Her eyes seemed misty, tears forming as she recalled the past.

Shroomz
Bokkun
Bokkun

Post by Shroomz » September 24th, 2014, 10:09 pm

With Jacob's moody status, and how he seemed to be avoiding the group, Morde wanted to say something. He opened his mouth to do so, but quickly realized that he didn't even know what to say. He didn't know what was eating at Jacob yet. "Hey, could you at least tell me what's going on? If I did something to piss you off, I'm sorry, I don't know what it is!" Morde clasps his forehead in his now-bare hand, trying to remember if he'd done or said something stupid lately.

In the meantime, Serena had finally settled on a wardrobe that she felt was appropriate for their casual meeting, and the crowd around the area had dispersed somewhat. With a slightly nervous gulp, she stepped from her shop in a vibrant red dress whose fabric hung in front of her and atop her more arachnid undercarriage. Each of her spidery legs was also sheathed in sleeves of a matching red silk. Unsteadily she began her trip toward the Inn where Jacob had said he was staying.

Eva patted Ruby's shoulder with her spare hand, giving a sympathetic look. "Skip town huh? Sounds like the story of my life, since I left my damn hometown. Doing that from- well, it sounds like- such a young age is probably a lot worse though... Was your grandma a nice person?"

Adamanttg
Mermaid
Mermaid

Post by Adamanttg » September 25th, 2014, 9:41 am

Ruby covered her eyes with her hand, shielding Eva's view of them - of her emotion. It was always difficult to control herself when it came to the past. There were a lot of unresolved issues lurking there. Things she might never get over. After a moments hesitation, she returned to quietly speaking.

"I never really stayed in one place for long...I always had to keep moving, for one reason or another...Didn't think about it much...I just thought I had to move on, like it was..just something I had to do..."

"She wasn't really related to me or anything. We lived in a pretty poor part of town, and with death just happening all'a the time, sometimes we'd just...group together. I was just some brat, alone...and she still just took me in. Even when I was a complete ass, she'd still just sit there and smile. Even though she had no reason to..she gave me way more than I deserved..." Though her hand obscured her eyes, tears still leaked down the side of her face, as she struggled more and more to keep her composure.

"It wasn't fair...It wasn't fair...It was my fault." As her voice tailed off, she spoke one final line, quieter than any of the rest.

"It should have been me."

Syn972
Eel
Eel

Post by Syn972 » September 27th, 2014, 5:24 am

Coming in on the end of their conversation, Yugo placed a hand on Mordecai's shoulder, giving his would be ally a friendly smile. "Don't worry about it too much, Jacob's just upset about how things turned out with the magic tome an all, before then he was probably confident that if challenged he'd be able to match if not best each and ever one of us in combat, but now that he's been forced to work with magic, an entirely new territory for most of is, he seeing just how wide the gap between us - you and him specifically - truly is and it's frustrating, I know because I've been through it before; give it time and he'll come around eventually; as for me I think I'll hang back in my room, some my magic is a bit more indoor friendly, besides I just might be able to speed up Ruby's recovery, and as hot headed as she can be she'll probably clock me if I don't do it as soon a possible."
Don't tell me the sky's the limit, when there's footprints on the moon.

Shroomz
Bokkun
Bokkun

Post by Shroomz » September 27th, 2014, 9:36 am

Quietly and gently, Eva reached for Ruby's hand. Grasping it between hers and slightly stroking it with her fingers in what was meant to be a soothing gesture, she practically whispered back to the miserable woman before her. "Whatever happened... I'm sorry. I think though... I think that your grandma put her hopes in you, Ruby. People don't protect or shelter others without some love involved, y'know? I think your grandma must've been a really nice lady, because she could see past you being an ass to understand you. You loved her too, right? Keep that strength. Don't regret that she gave you a chance to live... I think she'd be sad to see it." Eva now was tearing up again, but tried to smile despite it.

Despite the well-intended tone of Yugo's pep talk, Mordecai could be seen almost seething over with frustration... Something out of the norm for him so far. Briskly standing, he almost slams his palms onto the table before he restrains himself. Careful with his wording due to their surroundings and almost talking through his teeth, he speaks just loud enough for both Yugo and Jacob to hear. "If I'm being placed on a pedestal like that, then I've clearly been too showy so far. I apparently need training in not wasting effort on flair, because as far as I can tell from... 'feeling' the area around you both, I'm going to be outstripped soon. I've had almost exactly one month of actual training with our new art, most of which was not practical experience. From what I've heard, you all have had nothing -but- battles to train you. Frankly, I'm shamefully agitated that I'm allowing myself to be overtaken... but I will do anything I can to support the growth of you all. Call it a premonition if you want but someday... I get the feeling that I'm not going to be able to help Eva, or the rest of you, anymore. Before that happens though, I will fight. That's that." At that, he drops back into his seat and rests his forehead on his knuckles, staring into his own lap in frustration and grinding his teeth. A few people around the lobby spare glances at the slightly loud speech, but it flies over their heads and they return to wallowing in drink and conversing amongst each other.