General Discussion, News and Updates about The Game
Miles
BOFH
BOFH
Favorite Character: Tails

Project X : What's Next?

Post by Miles » November 20th, 2018, 9:30 pm

Hello All!

So, with 2019 just around the corner it feels like now is as good a time as any to discuss the future of Project X, The Zeta Team and the Community.

2018 has been a rough time for a lot of us, online and offline. Not as much progress has been made as we would have liked on the next release and the project as a whole has encountered some major setbacks, such as the hiatus announcement earlier this year.

As you may or may not be aware, with Zeta herself stepping down she has made me the project lead for Project X so she can take a break and focus on other projects. Whilst the original idea was for me to keep the project in a holding pattern until she returned I discussed the idea of continuing the project with the team and we have decided to go for it.

I cannot promise it will be fast, easy, or even smooth, but below I will outline my proposals and a potential roadmap for the future of Project X with myself at the helm.

[Project X : Love Potion Disaster]

We have decided as a team to call of the hiatus and focus on a new release system that will hopefully make development a much smoother process. Right now we are still a few animations short of the planned “final” release, but we are getting there as you have no doubt seen in the “Release Preview” thread here [viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2238].

We originally wanted a 2018 release for this, but personal emergencies in the art asset team has resulted in delays that will cause this to not happen.

We’re going to aim, instead, for an early 2019 release of the current build with the finished animations for Blaze and Cream. (Don’t shout at us if we miss it though, life happens!)
However, some serious restructuring of how the game is developed is going to take place.

Zeta is still the programmer, and it’s still her game, but she has asked me to lead the project, so lead the project I shall.The biggest, and most major change is going to be how we release builds of Project X. (I’ll wait for you to stop laughing at the concept of us releasing things… No it’s ok, I’ll wait…)
Builds are going to be split into two categories. “ERA” and “NExT Build” (the names are a work in progress), here’s how I plan those to work.

ERA “Early Release Alpha” : This is what Project X effectively is right now, it’s not the full game, it’s an early release and it has a lot of things missing that we want in it before it goes final. These releases will be “milestone” builds with all animations in place, completed (hopefully) stable features and levels.

NExT Build “New Experimental Test Build” : These will be feature incomplete releases, more “alpha” than the ERA builds. They’ll have rough or concept animations, incomplete levels, missing sprites and will potentially be more prone to crashing than ERA releases. These will be released with a certain level of frequency as assets are generated for them or as features are added, tested or changed.

NExT releases will be for you, the community, to provide feedback on!
Bug reports, feature suggestions, general gameplay testing and more. We can take this feedback and work it into the game for future ERA releases.

With these changes, I will also be changing how we label Project X versions.
No more version numbers, at least until we hit “Beta”.
We’ll be using “Build” numbers based on the release date of that build.

Here is an example of what that may look like:-
Project X: 19.01.01-ERA [A Completed Milestone Build]
Project X: 19.02.28-NExT [The Most Up To Date Test Build]

For those curious, I’ll consider the project “In Beta” once we have all the levels ready and at least rough animations implemented for everything in those levels. That will be Beta 1.0. I do not have a predicted date for that, and I will not even begin to guess when we could manage it, but it’s on the roadmap.

If you have any concepts or ideas you would like to show off we would love to see them!
All ideas are welcome and will be considered. Bear in mind that some ideas may not be feasible to implement in early development or may be restricted by limitations of the game engine.

Remember, through all this, the entire team are volunteers working on this project in their free time. I may be picking up project management, but there are limits on what team members may give up for the sake of The Project.

The idea of a dedicated Project X Patreon has been floated again, but that is a long way off and not something we want to put a lot of focus on. If you like the idea or would like to contribute to a Patreon and can think of any things we could offer as perks or rewards, do let me know, we’d love to hear your ideas on that.
As it stands, donations to hosting costs and site administration is still accepted and the links are in my signature for that.
(If every user donated $1/mo we’d be very well off indeed. A little goes a long way.)

[The Forums]

As you all well know from here [viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2272] things for the forum have been rather hectic this past week and a bit and it’s been a mad scramble to get everything back online and working properly.

I’ve already said most of what I need to say about the situation in the above thread.

My main focus is still the Forum. Currently in the works is getting all our plug-ins up to date and reinstalled, ironing out a few bugs, and fully restoring the purple skin.
Big shout outs to my friend Kalzone here on the forums for helping me get things back up and running so quickly after the attack.
A big grumpy face to my web host “Dreamhost” for not being particularly helpful in regards to the matter, but still talking to them, progress is just slow.

So, that’s all we really have to say for now, if anyone has any questions or comments this thread will be open for them, or you can talk to the team over on the Project X Discord. [http://chat.thezetateam.org/]

On behalf of the Zeta Team we thank you for your ongoing support and friendship over the last 10 years, you are the reason we keep pushing on!
From me, thank you for your support and trust with the forums over the last 5 years, and I hope you will trust me with the project as well!

Let’s make 2019 the year for Project X!

Miles :3
~ Zeta Team Administration
~ Project X Team Lead

Additional shout-outs to my friends and colleagues that have helped to proofread and tweak this post.
>_ Don't worry; it's been deprecated. The new one is worse.
>_ Zeta Team Web Administrator and Technical Support
>_ Site Ops Transparency Report
>_ Forum Updates and Changelog
>_ Please Consider Donating to me via PayPal : miles{at}thezetateam.org
>_ Or support me on Patreon

Shadic28
Grounder
Grounder
Favorite Character: Silver

Re: Project X : What's Next?

Post by Shadic28 » November 20th, 2018, 10:59 pm

You and all the team are awesome!!! Don't let anybody say otherwise. :) :D :P
Thank you for all that you and the team have done, are doing and will be doing!!!
Shadow+Sonic=Shadic
Spoiler
Show
Please visit my AWESOME site at: http://tjgs78.wix.com/topdawg19
Thank you

Rosy
Grounder
Grounder
Favorite Character: Zu

Post by Rosy » November 20th, 2018, 11:47 pm

looking onto the future instead of staying in the past i like it

the dingster
MotoBug
MotoBug
Favorite Character: Blaze

Post by the dingster » November 21st, 2018, 12:05 am

tbh i'm just glad that the "OMG the project is canceled" guys are wrong.

Dead2112man
BuzzBomber
BuzzBomber
Favorite Character: Tails

Post by Dead2112man » November 21st, 2018, 3:48 am

Normally, with news like this, I would be like hell yea, send me all the builds to bug test for that is what I love to do, but I will be gone for most of next year so I do wish you guys smooth sailing ahead. And Miles, now that your the project head, try to not let people drive your team crazy.
I might not create games, but I will test them, Then I will give advice on what I think needs to be added, removed, or improved.
Official bug tester for "Dark Impulses" the creators of "Pokemorph" over on the LoK Forums

Papanomics
Mermaid
Mermaid
Favorite Character: Zeta

Post by Papanomics » November 21st, 2018, 5:31 am

Thank you for this update, and best of luck.
The Forum Villain. Apparently.

JackieHoute
BuzzBomber
BuzzBomber
Favorite Character: Rouge

Post by JackieHoute » November 21st, 2018, 11:59 am

"When the tide is high...and the crow flies towards the horizon...there'll be change of management,arr!"

Seriously though, this is great news. The thought of us getting involved even a tiny bit really makes me happy.
Best of luck, Miles! :D
Gonta telling truth! Gentlemen never tell lies!

Nokami
MotoBug
MotoBug
Favorite Character: Shadow

Post by Nokami » November 21st, 2018, 1:30 pm

Was pretty sure the game was gonna be on hiatus indefinitely, it's good to see it is still running, but I want to be clean about it, Patreon isn't the problem, it would actually solve a lot of them, because people would not do it in their free time, they would actually get paid for it and work as a full-time job, and progress would increase by milestones, the problem is actually the game, too many licensed characters and we all know Sega only turns a blind eye because it's non-profitable, Sure, it's fine and good now, but for how long? 10 years is a lot of time, and I doubt that in 10 more anyone would still be here waiting for the game, 10 years ago there wasn't any good Adult games, but now with Patreon's funding, even more astounding games come up, with good gameplay and excellent animations and all with one point in common: Original characters, and the truth is, this IS a relic of the past, people only work so far without getting paid for it, and specially a game needs full time work to be released, sorry to pop everyone's bubble, but this is only delaying the inevitable until the next theshhold, this game needs a massive change if it ever wants to see it completed.
And I will be clear about it: I don't care if you read this and hate me now, I don't fucking care if this is hurting your feelings, if you can't take reality as it is, stagnation will continue, and I also don't care about my reputation in a almost empty online community, and don't care if some mod bans me for being frank, I have better things to do than waiting for a game that is stagnating for 10 years.

THE ARROW
Grounder
Grounder
Favorite Character: Zeta

Post by THE ARROW » November 22nd, 2018, 4:17 am

this is some real awesome work and love what you did with theme change btw. I just want you to know that you and the team are really awesome people and that you have my support all the way. May 2019 be a great year for project x!!

Unwanted_Fox
Tentacle Trap
Tentacle Trap
Favorite Character: Cream

Post by Unwanted_Fox » November 24th, 2018, 7:58 am

i think the patreon idea would be great but maybe advertise it as somthing else hate to see Sega try to copyright it or somthing.
Spoiler
Show